The Odenton Volunteer Fire Company (OVFC) was established on April 6th, 1931. The first fire station was housed in Silver's Store and warehouse that was on Morgan Rd. The company built a new station 1416 Odenton Road in 1934. In 1943 a new station was built at our present location - 1425 Annapolis Rd. The present bunk room originally served as the engine bays and the blue and gray hall (old hall) served as a social hall. In 1963, the station was expanded with four new engine bays, and a meeting hall. The blue & gray building was moved to it's current location, behind the station.
The fire company began a tradition in 1934 by holding its first carnival. After moving to our present grounds in 1943, the fire company was able to hold its annual carnival onsite. This fun and exciting tradition holds firm, as we hold our annual carnival each May.
Odenton's first fire engine was a Model T chemical wagon on loan from the US Engine Corporation. In 1932, the company bought a 1930 Chevrolet pumper. In 1935 the company bought its first new fire engine. The company purchased a new Chevrolet pumper in 1945, and in 1950, a FWD 500 GPM pumper was purchsed. Other apparatus included a 1957 FWD, a 1970 Seagrave, a 1976 Seagrave, a 1964 American LaFrance 70' Snorkel, and a 1965 American LaFrance pumper. In 1965, Anne Arundel County reorganized under a charter form of government, which included the formation of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. This provided for an expanded paid fire service in the county. The Odenton Volunteer Fire Cmopany was given the number 28 for use on equipment and insignia.
In 1970, the company initiated ambulance service to the community. In 1984 a 110' PemFab/E-One Aerial Ladder unit was purchased, followed by the purchase of a Seagrave Pumper in 1988. In 1993 the OVFC acquired an E-One Cyclone "Rescue Pumper" given number 281. In 1993, this Engine was dedicated to Murray O'Malley - OVFC's last surviving original member. Murray passed on in December of 1995. Most recently, we have made some major changes around our station. We have just remodeled our Company Board room and are in the process of doing the same to our radio room and Engineman's bunkroom.
Supporting the OVFC is a very active Ladies Auxiliary, which provides financial and other support to OVFC operations. We are very proud of our Ladies Auxiliary!
Click here to read an excerpt from the book "ODENTON - The town a railroad built" by Catherine O'Malley.